Scripture

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. - Mark 16:15

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Sacrifice

"These are the times that try men's souls..." when the mission is coming to an end and you realize that things are about to change. For better, or for worse- its going to be up to you. I won't lie- thoughts of home bother me, and I'm worried about being back with the same influences, people, and things that used to take up my time. But, I try my best to shove all of those thoughts off to the side as we continue knocking doors and doing the work of the Lord's missionaries. I've realized you have two decisions in times like this- let those kind of thoughts consume you and have a pity party for yourself all day, or realize that the time will come, acknowledge it, then wrap it up, put it in a box with a bow, put it on shelf, and get to work. Lying to yourself that the time will never come doesn't prepare you, but dwelling upon it does you no good either. Some things are just impossible to have control over and your life is already crazy enough without worrying about those things that you can't change. 

We had another bird come into our apartment this week.  He was quite friendly.




Besides chasing birds, this week was spent doing missionary work and interviews with President. Monday and Tuesday were days spent working at the food bank and getting in community service for a few hours followed by some good missionary work. Elder May is a fantastic companion and I love everything that he does for me. Despite his surgery he's up and about, walking a bit slower than usual, but moving around nonetheless. His recovery has been miraculous and he's not wasting any time when it comes to getting up and getting working. He's an energizer bunny- always wanting to go, go, go. It helps me a lot as I tend to be more of an "Eeyore" (Winnie the Pooh reference) when it comes to unpleasant things looming in my distant future. He does a great job of getting me up and moving and making sure we have something to do at all times of the day. 



We're all still learning- two years doesn't make you a perfect missionary and we've realized that knocking doors just isn't working. It's not. So we've been setting goals to have more lessons with active members to teach them the first discussion to practice our teaching, as well as to invite them to pray and ponder about someone they would like us to go visit. We don't ask for "referrals" because that adds a load to their minds. We ask for someone that's been on their mind that they would like us to go visit- member, nonmember... it doesn't matter. And in that way we hope to be an asset and not a burden to the members of our ward. I've come to realize that if you're just always asking for "referrals" to go visit people will start avoiding you because they get tired of saying, "I can't think of anyone!" and meaning it completely. 




That being said, we still take time to knock doors with time between lessons and service. You have to know- it's not pleasant to knock on doors. I don't get some fierce joy out of it- quite the opposite. So you have to ask yourself... why do these kids, these missionaries, knock? Why do they come and bother me at my door as I try and go about my day? The answer is because we believe what we teach. We do. Or we wouldn't be doing this. There will always be exceptions, but for the most part- we shoulder past the discomfort, the awkwardness, the stress, and the tiredness, in order to share a message with people that we truly believe can change their lives. And I know it can change lives, because I've had the opportunity to see it happen.  

Wednesday Elder May and I embarked with President to begin interviews with the Midland, Odessa, San Angelo, and Abilene Zones. We visit each of their cities and meet with the missionaries there to see how they're doing and to provide instruction on new missionary tools and things that the church provides us with. We also get to eat out a lot.  One of the popular restaurants here in Texas is Chick - Fil-A.



It's nice to see old friends as I travel around the mission.  I was able to see Elder Walker, a really good friend and one of my previous trainees.   



It's always good to see missionaries and old friends as we travel and this trip was no different. Riding with President is always a treat as we have the opportunity to ask him any kind of question that we can think of and listen as he imparts some of his knowledge to us. I've learned a lot from President Heap and I will love him forever because of the valuable life lessons that he has helped teach me. 

We've found 6 new investigators in the past two weeks and we're working with them to help them build a firm foundation in the faith of Jesus Christ. I love what I'm doing. I wouldn't trade these two years for anything. Some may say I'm a fool because I've given up much in order to come here to the dusty lands of Lubbock, Texas. But a sacrifice is giving up something good for something better- and that's exactly what this experience has been- a sacrifice. 



"The greatest sacrifice I ever made was giving up something I loved for the God I love even more." -President Thomas S. Monson

I love the gospel, I love this mission, I love Texas, and I love you all and miss you very much. Please stay strong and true to who you are. 

Love your friend, missionary, son, and brother,

Elder Austin Daniel Sork




No comments:

Post a Comment