I'll go ahead and start off with my favorite
part of the week which was yesterday-
My companions and I invited all of our recent
convert friends from the college park ward to go with us to the open baptisms
at the Temple at 7:00 pm Friday night. Six of the eight we invited were able to
show up and for 3 of them, it was their first time at the temple. We had Chris,
Daniel, Jesus, Shay, Manny, and Jonathan all there with us and it was such a
spiritual experience. Sitting in the baptistery dressed in white I couldn't
stop smiling as my friends entered the font to do baptisms on behalf of those
that never had the opportunity here in this world. I love that part of God's
plan, that he has thought of all of us, and loves us enough to give us all a
chance to return "home". We got a picture outside of the temple and
it's a photo I'll cherish forever.
These are all recent converts except my companions and I.
I witnessed all of them get baptized and I worked with them all. Great, great,
great guys. I love them with all of my heart! That's what missionary work is all about.
I've learned to love these people so much, and I will be missing them just as
much as those I missed back home when I return there. I'm grateful for the
miracle of Facebook and social media that can help me stay in touch with them
all. This is a picture of me with my recent convert friend
Ricky Gonzales. His last Sunday was this past week so I had to say goodbye to
him then. I'll miss him but plan on staying in touch!
Another thing I am going to miss is the Texas sunset. Here is yet another beauty!
In contrast, here is what hangs on our office computer:
That was a great way to top off another
fantastic week of missionary work. We went on exchanges again this week with
zone leaders from around the mission and they came into our area again. But now
that Tech is back in session we're teaching a lot more lessons and don't spend
as much time knocking doors and apartment complexes. I was getting tired of
talking to angry apartment officials about how we weren't
"soliciting" anything!
We've found some sweet new people that we're
teaching- a lot of whom are freshman. I think it has to do with the fact that
they're away from home really for the first time in their life and so they're
looking for something to help them cope with that and they find God or think of
the things they were taught as children and turn back to it. So we get a lot of
interaction with students struggling with home sickness, girlfriends they left
behind, family, friends... the list could go on and on, but it's been sweet how
we've been able to help because we, as missionaries, have all faced the same
exact thing. We've been able to help out a few people struggling with those
feelings and although they aren't necessarily interested in our message it
makes me happy to know that I've made someone's day a little better, and
perhaps their life a little easier.
The weather here has been crazy (like always).
One hour the hot sun is beating down on us and the next it's pouring BUCKETS on
us. The roads and streets and sidewalks were all flooded over and cars were
stalling out in the streets. Lubbock doesn't have any drainage systems like
they do up in Washington and I think I'll put a petition into the city mayor or
something here to put in some storm drains before I leave. I think it'd be a
worthwhile investment! During the "sunny" hour my companion and I
were helping a student move into a new apartment which meant we were able to
use our truck and we loaded his furniture all up in the bed. The
"rainy" hour occurred as we drove to his new apartment. So we quickly
scrambled in our white shirts and ties to lug all of the furniture and
belongings into his apartment before anything got to soaked. By the end of it
we were drenched and we got a call from the mission vehicle coordinator that we
needed to ground our cars and not use them because of the flooding. So we drove
over to the institute and parked and went inside to teach some people that had
gone into the building to find cover from the rain. I miss the soft drizzle of
home- when it rains here it pours- there's never an in between.
I've been tired this past week but that's to be
expected. The best feeling ever is to walk in after a long day, plan, make some
calls, and then to fall asleep shortly after your head hits the pillow. Elder
May is still recovering from his surgery so he sleeps out on the couch and I'm
supposed to sleep in the same room so I've been sleeping out on a mattress in
the living room for the past two weeks or so. I'm loving it because it's the
closest thing I've had to camping in the past two years! He's recovering well
though and he's not letting it slow down the work any. I really admire him for
his diligence and perseverance. He's a trooper.
This last week will be full of transfers and
lessons as we work on the crowded campus and plan for the upcoming new missionaries
and changes occurring in the mission. It's going to be a crazy week but I
wouldn't want to have it any other way.
I look forward to coming home and getting to
know all of you again. Thank you for all of your love and support. Stay strong
for me this week and I promise I'll do the same. You're in my thoughts and
prayers always. Love you tons!
Your missionary, brother, son, and friend,
Elder Austin Daniel Sork





No comments:
Post a Comment