Scripture

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. - Mark 16:15

Saturday, August 6, 2016

Time and Trail Will Tell

It's hard to believe that week one is already over with all of the transfers, meetings, and stress that it always brings! Sunday was the calm before the storm as we finished up some last minute changes to transfers then Monday morning consisted of the office meeting and heading off to pick up the new missionaries arriving at the airport. The groups coming out now in the Summer are larger than in the past few months because kids are graduating and put their availability for sometime during the Summer break, just as I did. The group that just came out this past time consisted of 18 new missionaries- all of whom look more ready than I ever felt as I walked off the plane. They're going to do some good things out here if they find the strength and courage to stay- I know it! Monday and Tuesday was spent giving them an orientation, instruction, and prepping them for the upcoming hard work that the mission would bring. 


Seeing the new missionaries is great. The feeling is quite different, however, when we go to the airport on Wednesday to drop off the departing missionaries who's 18 and 24 months are complete. Its almost like being in a funeral procession as we shuffle along the small Lubbock airport walkway with suitcases and missionaries in tow. It feels almost like I'd imagine Frodo to feel as he approached closer to Mt. Doom with the ring. It got heavier and heavier until he couldn't even take a step forward. Each time we drop off missionaries it gets harder and harder as I realize the time will soon be coming for me. Instead of being the one to line them up for tickets, I will be lining up. I won't be the one lugging the suitcases, towing the trailer, or shaking hands and watching them walk through the gate.... that'll be me next time. Why am I comparing home to Mt. Doom? Well... because of the happiness and fulfillment I've achieved out here. I know the same measure of fulfillment can be found and even magnified back home- but that doesn't lessen the apprehension that is felt as the day approaches. There's no need to worry about being "trunky" because going home is the last thing I want, though I know it is exactly what I need. 


The Lord has given me one last transfer to continue growing and facing the challenges and stresses that my current assignment brings and is preparing me, I'm sure, for similar stresses of a different nature back home. My hope is that I've become who I am because of who I am, and not simply because of where I am. Only time and trail can tell. 

After the emotional roller coaster and mind bending problem solving that transfers brings we celebrated yet another successful transfer cycle with a lunch at the best BBQ joint I've found on my mission- the Shack. The smoke the meat every day right outside the restaurant with mesquite wood and season it all perfectly. Easily the best BBQ I've had my entire life. Texans sure know how to slow cook and smoke some dang good brisket. 



We had a meeting on Friday that we had to prepare for so Wednesday and Thursday was spent doing that and teaching lessons in our area on Tech. I'm excited I'll be remaining on campus meaning I'll get to see all of the recent converts I've had here return from their summer vacations. 





Every Wednesday night we attend institute with them and our investigators and members then go and play ultimate Frisbee at a nearby park- one of the few places in West Texas with real grass free of stickers and thorns. It's always a good time!

Texas Tech will be starting up here again at the end of August, beginning of September meaning there will be a lot more people to teach. We'll be running around like chickens with our heads cut off again with so many people to teach (at least that's the hope!). We've still found quite a bit of success as we've worked hard to find those students remaining here over the summer and are working with quite a few that I'm sure will continue to progress towards making covenants with their Heavenly Father. Hurrah for Israel!
 



Something I've noticed over the period of time that I've been happy is that happiness is centered primarily on thoughts of others while selfishness and self-centered"ness" is what breeds discomfort annoyance and unhappiness. When it's all about me, me, me, what I want, and how I want it, I can never be content with what I have.

In Moses we read of two that volunteered for God's plan of Salvation to be the Savior of the world. Note the two differences. One says,"Behold, here am I, send me, I will be thy son, and I will redeem all mankind, that one soul shall not be lost, and surely I will do it; wherefore give me thine honor."
The other says: "Father, thy will be done, and the glory be thine forever."

I encourage you to find happiness in places other than yourself and I promise it can be found easier there than anywhere else! 



Keep on keepin' on. Let me know if there's anything I can do for any of you. I'm making slow but steady progress. I'm not perfect, but I'm aware, and it's something people will have to deal with when it comes to me for the rest of my life. So forgive me for my imperfections and short comings- but know that I love you and am trying. I promise to never give up. 

I love you all. Stay gold.
Your friend, missionary, brother, and son,
Elder Austin Daniel Sork 

No comments:

Post a Comment