Well another week has come and gone- they just seem to all blend together
now. Transfers are over and taken care of. There was a lot of driving that day
to pick up and drop off missionaries from different areas of the mission. I was
able to drive down to Big Spring Texas and see a few cotton plants along the way
which was pretty cool. The sheer amount of cotton was mind blowing. There was
just mountains of the stuff. It's gotta' be one of the biggest cash crops for
Texas. I know that for over here in West Texas its the oil and cotton that keeps
everyone working. Speaking of oil- the gas prices here are only 1.72! If I went
back in time with these gas prices I'd be saving over half my gas bill! It's
crazy, and a bit scary, to see how fast and suddenly the world is changing on so
many different levels. There's a lot of bad- but there's a lot of good as well!
We got to experience some of that good this week as we went about doing our
missionary work. The South Plains Food Bank here is really putting the
missionaries of the city of Lubbock to work! We sorted thousands of cans on
Wednesday and packaged up lots of food for families over the thanksgiving
holiday. The workers here LOVE the missionaries and they're all good friends to
those of us that have been going regularly. Some of them are even allowing
missionaries into their homes now because they see who we really are and what
we're about at the food bank! Service softens hearts! We're going back on
Wednesday again to package 500 more boxes for those in need this holiday season.
The Meals On Wheels organization here in Lubbock is now calling up the
missionaries for service as well. We were able to go, put together, and pack up
hundreds of meals for shut-ins around the city in what they called, "record
time". The work in this area and the communities perception of missionaries is
changing and its all because of service! I have a strong testimony of what it
can do for you. It boosts self worth and when you have more self worth there's
more productivity. It keeps your mind of yourself, it keeps you tired, and it
makes the world just a little bit better place- something I know it needs right
now!
Elder Bench is a good guy- I'll be getting to know him over the next six
weeks just like I have with every companion in the past. So far he seems to be a
great missionary. He's got a really good understanding of doctrine and the
scriptures and I'm excited to learn from him as we discuss our studies each
morning. And he knows a lot of really good card tricks- they blow my mind and
make me question my sanity. Elder Walker is coming along in his training and I
continue to strive and be a better trainer with each passing day. I still feel
like I fall so short sometimes! But I know that I've just got to do what the
Lord asks and everything else will fall into place like it's supposed to.
We've already had a few laughs this week with a broken bowl (I tried gluing
it back together... it was my favorite bowl!), a rogue mattress (it flipped out of our truck while we were driving. Elder Bench and Elder Walker did a great job retrieving it.), bike day, and a
few other experiences that just brought smiles to our faces. I haven't felt this
way for a long time. I think I'm actually taking time to be FUN and not so
serious all the time. There's obviously a time and a place, but I feel like I'm
gaining back some of the humor that I had prior to my sickness over the course
of my junior year. Y'all, I'm so HAPPY. Missions work miracles. And it's because
the Gospel works miracles. And it's because God is behind it.
We've been working very closely with ward leaders recently and its been
paying off. It's the best feeling in the world to get a text or call from a
member that asks to come out with you, or gives you the name of a friend or less
active to visit. The way its been described to me by general authorities and our
inspired mission president is that the church is like a dog and the
missionaries are like the tail. The dog wags the tail... the tail doesn't wag
the dog. Put your missionaries to work! I promise they'll appreciate it. To
often I feel like it's forgotten that it's the WARD'S missionary work that the
missionaries are helping out with. Not the other way around.
Anyway- we've set some baptismal dates with a mother and son who are aiming
to get baptized on the same day. Sophia and Jaden! They're great people that've
had a long journey to get where they now are, but I know this will be a huge
step in the right direction for them. We actually have a lesson with them
tonight and a member that has been coming regularly with us to fellowship them.
A lot of the time, all that people need to know in order to do something is
that: 1) They can do it. And 2) They'll be blessed for it. Those are two very
powerful things. When someone understands both of those they actually have a
desire to act and do it for themselves- they no longer need pushing and
prodding.
We went to a less active's home the other evening and as soon as he opened
the door he let us in. We sat down with him and his fiancé, who is not a member,
and shared a thought with them on the sacrament and its importance. It was a
super spiritual lesson and as soon as we finished they invited us back Wednesday
for dinner and a lesson and they also came to church on Sunday for the first
time! It seems like the only thing that some people need is an invitation-
sometimes it's just that simple!
We're obsessed with getting our apartment to smell good so we've been
cleaning it really well on preparation day and we bought scentsy things to put
in the walls and the whole thing. Everyone now knows that Elder Sork's apartment
always smells like apples and cinnamon. (My favorite house scent EVER!).
Elder Johnson and I are still staying in touch over the phone, he's trying
to adjust to small town life- something I have a little bit of experience in out
here! He's a good friend- I miss him already.
Thanksgiving will be spent at a member's home for dinner and then sports
with some other missionaries. We've got lessons set up throughout the week and
everything looks like it's going great, despite my mistakes! But the one thing
I'm proud of is I learn from my mistakes. I'm trying to become
a better person and grow. I know I've made a lot of mistakes in my life- but I'm
focusing on becoming better so that I don't make those same mistakes again.
"The wicked- through the pride of his countenance will not seek after God."
Psalm 10:4
"Only by pride cometh contention" Proverbs 13:10
"Pride goeth before destruction" Proverbs 16:18
"The iniquity of Sodom and Gomorrah was pride" Ezekiel 16:49
"The pride of thine heart hath deceived thee." Obadiah 1:3
"Behold, the pride of this nation, or the people of the Nephites, hath
proven their destruction."
Moroni 8:27
Pride has been the cause of thousands of wars, rights stolen, and millions
of lives lost.
Pride is what caused Lucifer to fall. And a little closer to home- pride is what causes divorces, broken
relationships, and lost friendships. It truly is the universal sin- we all have
it.
Just as most poisons have an antidote the solution to combat pride is
humility.
I used to be the kind of person where if I backed down- whether I was right
or wrong- I lost. Pride is always competitive- there's a winner and a
loser. Always. To often we look at things as a competition. President Benson
said in his talk on pride that, "Pride is ugly. It says if you win, than I'm a
failure." The best way to go about making sure you're not prideful is lifting
everyone higher than yourself. Make it your goal in life to make those around
you feel important, loved, intelligent, beautiful, strong, and valued. There is
always a time for competition- just make sure it stays on the field or court
that it's meant to take place in. "Humility is not a sign of weakness- it's a sign of spiritual strength."-
Preach My Gospel pg. 121 Be strong.
I Love you all- keep up the good work and make good choices over the
Holidays.
Choose to be happy!
Your friend and missionary,
Elder Austin Sork








No comments:
Post a Comment