Oh man... It's been a crazy week. I hardly even know where to
start. The work continues to roll forward despite my shortcomings and I continue
to grow, so that's always a highlight.
![]() |
| Men of God: Elder Ramos and Elder Sork |
Transfer calls came in this Saturday, just 2 days ago and I'll be remaining
a zone leader in the Texas Lubbock North Zone, but I'll be training a new Zone Leader named Elder Johnson and we'll also be training a new missionary fresh out of the
Missionary Training Center named Elder Walker. Sadly, the Spanish area has been moved out of Zone Leader jurisdiction, so I'll now be serving in the English speaking ward of Heritage in
the Lubbock area. I'm sorry to say goodbye to my old companions and friends
Elder Pastrana and Elder Ramos.. its been a fun few weeks and my Spanish has
improved so much! Looks like the Lord has other plans for me though. He knows
best!
![]() |
| Ricky and Araceli Investigators I have been teaching. I will really miss working with them. |
So the last week with my Spanish companions was one full of adventure and
peril. We went up to a distant town called Gail to do some service on Wednesday
where we proceeded to use fence post diggers to help construct a fence. It was
my first real taste of ranch life and I was loving it! During the course of the
day I accidentally smashed my foot with those post hole diggers though. Ouch. I
knew it was hurt pretty bad but I didn't take off my shoe because I know things
tend to swell up and become REALLY painful from experience. So I kept the shoe
on and continued to work... eventually the pain subsided and everything was
okay.
![]() |
| Even Toes Grow Big In Texas |
During that service we found a whip scorpion and rats, black widows, and
tons of other Texas critters. I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again:
I LOVE hard work.
![]() |
| This is a whip scorpion I caught while doing the service. It was a nasty critter. Unfortunately, it died on the 2 hour drive home - I guess it made getting the picture easier... |
Anyway... on the 2 hour drive back home my foot started
hurting me REALLY bad. I finally got back to the apartment and took off my shoe,
and my sock was soaked in blood. I spent the night with my foot propped up
hoping that it would get better but I woke up in the morning with so much pain
that I HAD to call the mission doctor.
He told me the reason it hurt so bad was
because of the pressure building up beneath my nail. So I had two options..
stick it out, or put a hole through the nail. I chose the second option. My
companions found a paper clip and with a lighter we heated up the end till it
was cherry red then proceeded to poke a hole through my nail. It hurt like the
dickens.
![]() |
| Superman Not Looking Very Super |
I've got a video that I'll have to show y'all when I get home, but let
me suffice it to say that it HURT. Anyway, after it was able to be drained the
pain went down a ton and I'm back up on my feet working away! But man... what an
adventure.
![]() |
| AHH, Relief |
I got to say goodbye to our investigators and on our last trip up to a
small town called Brownfield. We were able to deliver some furniture to a family
in need. We'd been collecting it for weeks from members and storing it in our
house until we had everything the family needed including a bed, couch, TV, toys
for the kids, chairs, and dressers. This is the same family that we made the
benches for a few weeks ago.
![]() |
| A Missionaries Truck: Used to Serve In All Capacities. |
Because the parents now have the items their
children need in the home to live comfortably they'll be able to keep their
children. Child Protective Services had given them time to find furniture and beds before they took
the kids away. I'm glad we were able to help that family out.
![]() |
| Keeping Families Together I am so glad we were able to help these kids stay in their home with their parents. |
The weather is starting to take a turn again. The past few days have been
cloudy and rainy with a brisk wind blowing in from the north. It's the kind of
wind that chills you to the bone! But I'll gladly take the cold over the heat
ANY day! I feel like Mandy and I should've had our calls switched- I would've
loved the freezing air of Canada!
![]() |
| The Aftermath of Mission Field Surgery |
My foot is doing okay. My companions are packing up and getting ready for
the new transfer. Things are going good. I'm excited to see what the next 6
weeks has in store!
![]() |
| A Casual Dinner |
Hang In There!
Come what may and Love it. Don't simply "endure" to the end- smile, laugh, and help others along the way. Then "enduring" won't seem like such a tedious verb!
![]() |
| This is MY Zone (less four companionships) We R Lubbock North! |
My thought today comes to give comfort and solace to those that feel like
they can never be happy. It's something that I struggled with, and I know
countless others do as well. I'd like to draw your attention to the prophet
Nephi in the Book of Mormon. A man of great stature. Always choosing the right.
A leader favored of the Lord. You'd think he had it all right? (Besides the
crazy older brothers). In my reading the scriptures this week I was reflecting
on 2 Nephi Chapter 4, one of my favorite chapters in the Book of Mormon. Often
referred to as Nephi's lamentation it's Nephi exclaiming, "Oh wretched man that
I am!"
At this point in his life we must remember a few things:
1. Nephi has left his
home and traveled to a distant land after having wandered in the wilderness for
8 years suffering "many afflictions".
2. He'd almost been killed by his brothers countless times, and they hated
him and everything he stood for.
3. In Nephi Chapter 4 Nephi's father, Lehi, passes away
That's enough to make ANYONE sad.
But look closely at Nephi's physical
reactions to these hardships- in 2 Nephi Chapter 4:26 it reads:
"O then if I have seen so great things, if the lord in his condescension
unto the children of men hath visited men in so much mercy why should my
heart weep and my soul linger in the valley of sorrow, and my
flesh waste away, and my strength slacken, because of mine
afflictions."
I'm no expert but these seem to be the basic signs of depressions. Losing
hope. Physically suffering (i.e. Losing weight). Losing strength. This helps us to know that even the greatest men of God, the ones we read about each and
every day, had struggles very similar to the ones we face today. My question is
how did Nephi overcome this? How did he get out of this emotional and physical
rut and push on?
The answer is found in versus 20-25 and verse 30. I believe he
found his way out by counting his blessings and seeking understanding and peace through mighty prayer. Counting
blessings helps us look at the world "half full" and not half empty as we
recognize how fortunate we truly are. And mighty prayer helps us realize we are
NEVER alone, no matter how alone we may feel. Nephi did these very things and
later in 2 Nephi chapter 5 verse 26 or 27 he records that he and his people
"lived after the manner of happiness."
![]() |
| Nephi's Sorrow by Steve Nethercott |
In 1 Nephi chapter 1:1 we read:
"...and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days,
nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea
having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God..."
The word I would like to point out in this verse is NEVERTHELESS. The trials and
tribulations never left. But NEVERTHELESS, he still felt blessed and loved. You
can too.
Let me know if there's anything I can do for you! I love you. Thanks for
all the support and love you send me through emails, letters, and prayers. I
think of you often.
Take care. God bless.
Your son, friend, brother, and missionary,
Elder Austin Daniel Sork
I saw this and it brought back fond memories of my first home in Texas, The Lilly Pad. I miss Kermit.















No comments:
Post a Comment