![]() |
| My New Ride - not bad for a missionary vehicle. |
We had the baptism of Lusinda in our little Spanish branch in Quaker Heights. It went off without a hitch! She's now a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She's so happy for the decision she made and she's now working towards being sealed to her husband in the temple. It's a long road, at least a year long, but she said she's in it for the long haul, and I know missionaries and members will help her every step of the way. The stake center where we had the
baptism is right across from the temple- they share the same parking lot- so we
took her there after the baptism and told her that the next step was to come
here and be sealed as a family. Her husband, a less active, is working on
quitting smoking and we're excited to be able to help them all. The kids love us and they climb all over Elder Pastrana and I, but its a good time!
![]() |
| Lusinda's Family at the Temple after her baptism. Texas Lubbock North. |
We are working with Lusinda's cousin. He's the kid standing in back in a blue shirt. He was able to come and watch the baptism and really enjoyed
it. I'm excited to see where things go with him!
![]() |
| Elder Pastrana and Elder Sork at the Lubbock Temple with Lusinda and her family. Including her cousin, our new investigator. |
![]() |
| Making pizza dough |
![]() |
| I'm pretty much a baker now, cinnamon rolls, breadsticks, pizza dough, and Pad Thai in my repertoire. |
![]() |
| Yum, dinner just in time for nightly phone calls. |
I was invited to speak at zone conference. I was able to give a 35 minute instructional lesson to 45 missionaries. I love the leadership position that I now hold, and the ones in the past, NOT because they give "power" or recognition, but because it enables me to help even more people. As I grow closer to the Lord and gain a stronger testimony of him I'm able to share that testimony to help other begin building there own.
Helping fellow missionaries is one of my favorite things to do. We're all out here trying to do the same thing- bring other people to Christ. But we're all at different steps in that purpose. Some are trying to figure out a testimony for themselves, while others have foundations built that I can only dream of having. Either way- we all struggle with things, whether they're temporal or spiritual, and helping people overcome those struggles brings me joy. I love these people, I love these missionaries, and I love this work!
The greatest thing about being a leader is it's not a one way streak- I learn more than I give. The missionaries I serve with are amazing. Their stories, their testimonies, and their devotion ground me. If anyone has a question of whether or not this is the true church just look at the young men and woman that truly LIVE these standards.
![]() |
| Driving to an outlying town in my truck I came across a huge field of sunflowers. WOW, that's a lot of sunflowers! |
![]() |
| SUNFLOWERS: Searching the heaven Until day is done Nature's disciples Follow the sun. Let them be Our example When day has begun. Eyes Reaching for heaven Seeking the SON. |
Oh man, I can't wait to return home, not because of homesickness or anything along those lines, but just because of the things I've learned. I've changed and I'm STILL changing, but with the things I now know, and the lessons I've learned I feel like I can make a difference. I'm so looking forward to the time I still have here to change and become better.
Whew! As a ZL in the city I can text the zone and get everyone together for
morning sports if they're up for it so we've been doing that a couple times a
week. Despite popular belief missionaries don't always play basketball- in fact,
I have yet to play bball here in Lubbock. Soccer. Frisbee. Flicker Ball- (Fun
game- play ultimate Frisbee rules with a football- but you need to score in the
basketball hoop, FUN GAME! Try it at mutual or something!). So that's fun. I'm
able to better get to know the people I've been called to help and have fun
exercising too. Anyway... after morning sports I always return home and lift my weights so I can beat Carson in an arm wrestle when I return home and do some other exercises, eat breakfast, and get to studies on time.
Speaking Spanish in this area is difficult. Elder Pastrana is trying to figure out how to teach me, because it's difficult for him to help with something he finds so simple. We've started talking Spanish everywhere we go- apartment, car, out contacting, everything. I'm hoping it really helps me! I want to learn it so bad so that I can teach with the same confidence that I can teach lessons with in English.
Here's my thought-
Remember: Lions hunt in packs, and they always go after the animal that is
falling behind the herd or is left behind and forgotten. It could be the
strongest member of the herd, or the weakest- but whenever he's alone he's in
danger of being caught by the pride of lions. Remember those around you- those
that need to be put right in the middle of the herd. Protect them. Love them.
And try not to let anyone get left behind. And remember- no matter how strong
you are- you can't make it on your very own. Watch out for the spiritual lions
that lie in wait in the grass of life. Graze with the herd, and stay safe.
Love you all.
Stay strong, be smart, and be safe.
Your friend, missionary, son, grandson, and brother-












No comments:
Post a Comment