Scripture

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. - Mark 16:15

Monday, June 1, 2015

Plot Twist - Kermit is getting shut down.


Hey y'all! So... plot twist. Kermit is getting shut down. I'm heart broken. The work has taken off since I've arrived but the shed is being given back to the owners who are then selling the land for some oil field companies to buy up. The cut back had to be made- the number of missionaries coming into the mission is much smaller than those leaving. The age change caused a huge jump in the numbers that came in a few years ago, and now they're back to normal. This transfer we're losing 28 missionaries and only getting 14. I can proudly say that I have done all that I can here in Kermit. I have worked my hardest and left nothing behind. The sisters in Monahans will now be covering Kermit as well as their area. Over 20 areas have been closed in the mission in the past few transfers.


Well... that's the bad news. Good news? I'm ready for whatever the Lord has in store for me next! I've been called to serve in the City of San Angelo Texas where I'll be training a new missionary straight out of the MTC. I look forward to the lessons I'll learn and the things I'll experience as I go to a new area and make new friends, and meet new people. City missionary work is supposedly much different than "small town" missionary work. I'll let you know how the changes go! 


My district - I'm released as district leader and now moving to San Angelo and training a new missionary. I'm getting "white washed". So I'm going into a new area blind, with a brand new missionary. Wish me luck!

I'll be in a trio training another missionary for about 2 weeks until my companion comes from the MTC. He's getting held there a little long due to some health problems (something I'm familiar with). Whoever this missionary is, I can't wait to meet him. I want to give him the best experience I can. I want to help him learn, and grow, and love serving. It's easy to GO on a mission. It's much harder to BE a missionary. 

Last day with Modesto at church.
Saying goodbye to everyone in Kermit was hard. I thought I'd only have to leave one home for two years. But I've found that I'm having to leave another one. No more sweltering hot shed, the pitter-patter of rain on a tin roof, no more Spanish bakery next door, or Modesto's jokes, Hermana Anaya's homemade tortillas, service in Eddie's yard, Dinner at the Day's, and countless friends that I've made along the way. 

Elia Anaya. My Spanish grandmother.

Goodbye to the Day children.

The Day Family with the Elders and the Sisters

I'm leaving here, but just like when I left home- I'm keeping these people in my heart. I now feel a solemn responsibility to live righteously so that I can see them again one day, whether it be in this life, or the next. In heaven I've got a few people I need to stop by and see, they made me promise. Tommy. Stanley. Jon Swanson. And Elia Anaya, my beloved Spanish grandmother.
I'm going to miss these people. I've made friends here that I will never forget, and relationships that will continue on into the eternities. This is what the work is all about.

Saying goodbye to the Kermit Librarians. They're going to miss us!
They said "fine gentlemen like you are hard to come accross in Kermit!"

Saying goodbye to the Mckenzies. He is a huge man, rides a harley, and loves being a member
of the church of Jesus Christ of latter-day saints. He's got a heart of gold!

On Saturday we took Modesto to the temple and he was baptized for his family members including his son who died back in '81 at the age of 19. It was an amazing way to end my time here in this little town. 

Elder Sork and Modesto at the Lubbock Texas Temple

Elder Sork, Modesto and Elder Oler

The only way to make a perfect day even better - Red Robin! YUMMMM...

The ORIGINAL Red Robin

I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. 
I'm going where he wants me to go, and trying to do what he wants me to do. Each day I end my prayer with, "thy will, not mine, be done."
He is my God, and I love serving him. 
Stay strong. I love all of you. 
I love you.
Elder Austin Sork

No comments:

Post a Comment