Scripture

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. - Mark 16:15

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Week 2: October 9, 2014



Dearest Mother,

During this week I´ve read through alma chapter 60 in the book of mormon. Im speeding through it and taking notes and jotting down important scriptures as I go. The work here in the MTC is hard, 16 hour days which are ALL planned out with 0 rest time. But it gives me what I´ve been wanting for so long in my life, just one sole purpose. That purpose is to serve God and become a better person. Things get so cluttered and chaotic out in the world but here, I know what Im supposed to be doing and its up to me to figure out HOW to do it. I guess thats just the life of an adult.


I'm always studying.  It's the life of a missionary.
While I here I came up with my own mission statement. Here it is:

Elder Austin Daniel Sork
My purpose as a missionary is to invite others to come unto the light of Christ in a world filled with turmoil and uncertainty. To serve and better the lives of members and non members alike. The next two years are a chance to love others unconditionally and make the world a better place. I am a warrior of God, an advocate of righteousness, and a teacher, seeking to restore hope ad teach truth All of which I will continue to strive for and be when I return home with honor. 

"What you do is one drop in the ocean. But without it, there would be one drop less." Mother Teresa

But what I say, is that one drop will cause a ripple effect. Im out here to better the lives of my fellow men and restore hope and love in families who accept my message, and even in those that dont. 
Im not out here just to convert, but to grow as a man and to make this wonderful earth that God has given us a better place.

It is fun to see Austin wear his different ties from home.  Cathy, he wanted you to see him wearing his Dorthy Fox tie clip. He has fond memories of serving your school community and they help strengthen him on his mission.

In general conference Tad R. Callister gave a wonderful talk on parents. He said that they are our gospel teachers, and can give us a vision of what we want to become. Mother and Father, You have both given me this vision. The one that I am holding onto now and am making my own. I love you with all of my heart and I just want to say thank you so much for raising me the right way. You have done a good job as parents and I want you to know youve done everything you can for us as kids. Dont get me wrong, theres still a LOT to do, haha, but continue doing what youre doing and I know you can stand proud in front of God in the Last day and say you taught us well.

The MTC carving of the tree of life like the one in our office at home that you  brought back from your trip to
the ruins in Mexico to share with the family.

Finally, one day of American food.  thank the heavens and the earth.
Only time Ive ever gone back for seconds. 
The food here at the MTC is awful! Beans, beans and more beans. Watch Nacho Libre for me, Please, and my life is pretty much like his in the monastery. Minus the wrestling and farting. (That only happens in the dorms when my roomates are dorks, I never participate, haha).


Breakfasts I always go for peanut butter toast, banana and nutella.  Carson, they have so much nutella!
Elder Farmer and I got marked as the best teachers in our district. We taught the first four discussions completely in Spanish and got told we carry the spirit with us throughout every lesson. But in all seriousness Theres a power here that can only be found in a place devoted to the teachings and studying of god.

Outside my dorm I caught this picture of one white pidgeon to the far left, left outside of the rest of the pack. The rest are black. He´s different, and sometimes we as members of the church feel like this pidgeon, but Im sure the grass where he´s at is filled with plenty of bugs and happiness.

I´ve been struggling with my sickness and depression here at the MTC but I found strength in a quote from conference (we all watched it in english so that there would be less of a chance of us falling to sleep, our brains are already fried every day with all the work we do that we didnt need to try and translate 10 hours of conference talks). I believe it was a quorum of the 70 who said it but its was that,
"Trails are allowed into your life becuase you´re doing well."
I like to imagine that the reason Ive been given this sickness is because without it life would be just to dang easy. I know thats not true, but it does bring some comfort to know that its to make me stronger and not to punish me.

Elder Farmer was a blessing from Heaven just for me.
I got so lonely, Elder Farmer gave me a pet. His name is Samwise Gamgee.  He will carry me up the fiery steps of Mount Moridor to complete my mission!
(Last week Elder Farmer gave Austin this rubber rat, I told Austin to name it and send me picture.)

Here´s an Austinism I've come up with at the MTC:
Why doesnt Yoda ride a Tricycle? 
Becuase he only rides a Do-cycle.
"There is no try, only do" Master Yoda said.
Im here at the MTC doing everything I can to become a better man and missionary.

District Selfie

Elder Sork and Elder Cunningham - Mission Buds.
Elder Cunningham reminds Austin of his good bud from home, Austin Babb.

I love you all at home,  I love you mom. xoxo.  I love you with all of my heart. You all are in my prayers daily and your emails and letters give me strength. Thank you.

I JUST got the dear elder Letters Yesterday.. it took two weeks to get here to me. An elder said you guys could go to www.mtcmexicocarepackage.com and its a way to send me letters with like next day deliveries. theres also ways to send my packages but DONT. I DO NOT want food or anything like that. Im not joking. I only want letters. The good thing about letters is I can read them whenever I have free time, not just soley on Pday.

Thank you for Everything.

"Choose ye this day whom ye will serve, but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD!"
Your Proud son,

No comments:

Post a Comment